One Week and Going Strong

Yesterday marked my one week anniversary of living on a Raw diet. The goal of this blog was to document my transition to eating raw as closely as possible, so I figured I had better get posting.

Unfortunately, there is still much controversy surrounding the "Living" and/or "Raw" food diet. I call this blog the Accidental Rawist because I really do feel like it's something I fell into (but more on that later).

I had originally heard about the Raw diet many years ago when I was in my early twenties. I think it was some T.V. program about nutrition and Supermodel Carol Alt was talking about how she has no problems managing weight while living Raw. I was intrigued. I had no idea what that meant; 'eating Raw?' I thought, 'what does that mean exactly?' So, I asked around and no one seemed to have any information. The Internet wasn't nearly as active ten years ago as it is today, so even searching online didn't provide good results. Fast forward almost ten years later and I notice my friend, David, is looking great! He had slimmed down and seemed very healthy. When I asked him what he was doing different he told me he had adopted the Raw food diet. I was so psyched to finally know someone who could tell me more about it. Later my roommate, who works in publishing, brought home a bunch of cookbooks. One of them caught my eye, RAWvolution by Matt Amsden. Again, here was more information on going Raw, but I thought I didn't have the time to learn how to completely change my diet. Needless-to-say, the book sat on a shelf in our kitchen for months untouched.

So, how did I come to finally pick up that book? How is it that it took me this long to finally go Raw when it has been something in the back of my mind for over a decade? I have a few guesses, but regardless, this past week has been a great experience and I am so excited about my choice to go Raw.

Yes, the reviews are mixed. Yes, the Organic controversy still looms heavy over us. Yes, there are concerns of vitamin and nutrient deficiency. This blog is going to address all of those things and more. I hope to share everything from physical changes to recipes to medical studies, etc.

Thanks for joining me!

Best,

Karen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Craving Sweets to Seaweed and Breaking Through Addiction

Can You Guess What This Is?

Why I Am Not Giving Up Beer...yet