Ch Ch Ch CHIA!

I have discovered the magic that is the Chia Seed! Talk about a Superfood! Chia Seeds have enormous nutritional value; they are an excellent source of fiber, loaded with antioxidants, protein, calcium, packed with vitamins and minerals (phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, niacin, zinc), and the richest known plant source of omega-3.

In addition to all that great stuff, Chia is great for maintaining healthy blood-sugar levels and aids digestion.

Probably by far, the coolest Chia facts come from their history. Living and Raw Food columnist, William Anderson writes "
For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment" (source). There is so much going on with Chia that there's even an entire book devoted to these little (yet big in so many ways) seeds! See!

...but please whatever you do, don't eat the sprouts off your Chia Pet.

This morning I made up some Goji Berry Chia Pudding and it was delicious. You can find the recipe from GoneRaw here, but please do not be discouraged by the picture. It doesn't look that great, but it tastes really good!

So yeah, power-packed morning for me. It's around 3pm and I am still full (I ate my Chia breakfast around 7am). All those tiny little Chia seeds are expanding in my stomach as we speak and filling my body with all that good stuff I mentioned. Pretty awesome!

I realized on my way to work how good I felt. I had a lot more energy than I usually do in the mornings, so much in fact that I didn't need any coffee to help get me going. I think I may finally be able to kick the caffeine addiction thus placing me at around 85-90% Raw.

In addition to increased energy, since I have gone Raw I have also noticed increased awareness of my surrounding. It seems like everyday I am seeing so many interesting things that I never seemed to notice before. In fact, this morning as I was walking down the street I was thinking about this very thing and just as I thought about it a pigeon swooped down and ran into the head of a woman who was walking in front of me. That pigeon was crazy! It completely undid her ponytail and she started screaming shaking her head around. I thought her reaction was a little dramatic so I put my headphones in and put my iPod on shuffle. The first song that came on was an old Mike Furber tune from the 60's...perfect for my morning walk to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Craving Sweets to Seaweed and Breaking Through Addiction

Can You Guess What This Is?

Why I Am Not Giving Up Beer...yet