BBQ and the Beast

Today a friend of mine invited me over for a BBQ. Of course I said yes, I love BBQ's. After I got off the phone with my friend I thought about how I might do in the environment. I was going to a BBQ, after all, that's like basically saying you are going to a meat party.

I think I mentioned before that I never entered into this lifestyle due to ethical or moral issues. Almost five weeks ago I was not a Rawist, a Vegan, or a Vegetarian. I was a full-fledged meat and potatoes kind of girl. I loved it all. The only reason I cut animal products out of my diet was due to convenience. It's a lot easier for me to be Raw if I don't include animal products in my diet (see previous posts for more info).

I actually learned a lot from this BBQ. I had just had a large lunch of seaweed salad and I felt pretty full. I thought I would be fine just bringing some strawberries and an apple to snack on. I admit, I entered into this completely unprepared.

I was fine for the first few hours and then I started to get a little hungry. I munched on my fruit and was completely content enjoying the company of my friends as they hammered away at the most luscious looking cheeseburgers, kabobs, nacho chips, homemade french friends, etc. I was completely on the fence as to whether or not go ahead and have some of their food or not. It was a struggle. I was split 50/50. It was incredibly frustrating.

I did not eat any of the meat, nor did I give into my temptations for the other food. When I was driving home I became completely annoyed with myself. It felt like a million emotions were surging through my body and each one of them different. I was frustrated I was eating Raw and had gotten to a point where I couldn't eat any other way; frustrated that I was even having that kind of inner dialog at all. I felt sad thinking that my lifestyle might make my friends uncomfortable. It definitely seemed like I was different.

Then I thought about actually being the one to go to a farm and choose an animal and then kill it myself, prepare it, and then eat it. I don't think I could kill an animal and be comfortable with it. I would feel intense sadness. I am a total weakling when it comes to stuff like that! Suddenly, all that mixed emotion and frustration was gone. It evaporated completely and instantly.

Once my mind was clear, I was able to think about how I should have prepared myself for the BBQ, so that I could do it again and be ready. After all, I am still transitioning. Some Rawists I have spoken with took over a year to transition. One person I met took 7 years to transition. Others did it over night. It really depends on the person.

First of all, if you are going to a BBQ, fruit ain't gonna cut it. I would have been golden if I had brought a BBQ-like creation. There are innumerable excellent and tasty BBQ-alternative recipes online. There's even one for bacon! Just so you know, in the past, I always cited bacon as being the one reason why I could never be a vegetarian. Ha! Little did I know what the future would bring.

At one point, I started reasoning with myself. I said that if I could go 90% Raw for three more weeks and still wanted meat, I would eat it. I would go to Fette Sau in Brooklyn and have a meat-party-blow-out. Simply reminding myself that this would never be the last time I could have meat again and giving myself that three week goal definitely made me feel a lot better.

So, I guess, if I were to tell what I had learned form all of this, I could sum it up this way: allow yourself the compromise of choosing what to eat. This means bringing a suitable food substitute that will satisfy you cravings. Give yourself a goal in which you can reward yourself for holding off a little longer. Remember that just because you are not choosing to eat this way today, doesn't mean you can't ever eat what you want again. Finally...remember why you're inspired to live the way you live.

Here are some great BBQ recipes that will definitely leave you satisfied...

Summertime and Picnic Raw Recipes

Raw Shish Kabobs


Mushroom BBQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Craving Sweets to Seaweed and Breaking Through Addiction

Can You Guess What This Is?

Why I Am Not Giving Up Beer...yet