Eterntaining in the Raw (circa 1960)


I don't know about you, but I have definitely been digging that show Mad Men. I actually do not have TV, so I have to rely on Netflix to see the show. Season three just began and in order to kick-off the night some friends decided to throw a 60's themed Mad Men party.

The idea was to dress, drink, and eat like you were of the time period. I had pretty much everything down, but creating a Raw meal that was going to fit in with the 60's vibe was going to be a fun challenge. Most people I meet don't even know what Raw foodism is...and this is present day New York City. I can't imagine what their knowledge of it was back in the 1960's.

A lot of people assume that Raw foodism is something new, but actually it's arguably the oldest diet known to man. We weren't born into this planet with stoves, people, we were foragers.

Anyways, planning a fun dish for the party was a lot easier than I thought. Look through any 1960's cookbook and you are bound to see a fruit salad in there somewhere and a variety of veggie platters and dips. They must have invented the melon-baller in the 60's too, because it seemed like no fruit salad recipe could leave well enough alone. Everything had to be "shaped" like something else.

In the spirit of the "chip and dip" episode (you know, the one in which Pete returned his wedding gift chip 'n' dip platter in order to buy a gun) I decided to make a Carrot-Almond Pate with Collard Green and Zucchini "chips." I even served it in Tupperware (how could I not?).

Above you'll see a picture of me from the party, holding my creation. I'm even wearing a vintage 1960's suit that belonged to my mother (Thanks, Mom!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Craving Sweets to Seaweed and Breaking Through Addiction

Can You Guess What This Is?

Why I Am Not Giving Up Beer...yet